Re: [Question #55983]: Can I hide the big "main menu?"

McGehee is still having a problem:
Thanks, that helps with the bar, but not with the -- I guess being new
to this I don't know the word to use, but the icon field that obscures
the  desktop background. I thought that was "main menu" because when I
go into System > Preferences > Main Menu the changes I make there are
seen in the icons.

What is that called, if "main menu" isn't its proper name?