[Question #59605]: Home dir permissions on creation too permissive

New question #59605 on Easy Peasy:

I am evaluating Easy Peasy 1.0 on a Dell laptop. The default home directory permissions on accounts created by the "users-admin" tool is too permissive. They are 755, allowing anyone access to everyone's home directory. On Kubuntu 8.04 that is not the case. I need to know where to set the default permissions for the "users-admin" tool. I tried changing the UMASK setting in /etc/login.defs to 077, but that seems to have no effect.

Ubuntu Eee Coders, which is an answer contact for Easy Peasy.