[Question #61187]: Can't get the partitioning right to install Easy Peasy from a USB stick on a 2G EeePC Surf.

Question #61187 on Easy Peasy changed:

Description changed to:
Same as #57483, except a 2Gig Surf. But I have installed an 8G memory
card, and hoped that would help. I have no clue about partitioning, have
never used Ubuntu or Linux before. The many things I have tried have not
worked. When I got the thing it had Windows xp installed which did not
allow enough space for the install of OpenOffice which I need so I can
use the tool for my work.

I downloaded the torrent image to my desktop computer, and after much
trial and error, over a couple of weeks, I finally managed to make a USB
drive that does boot the EeePC and Ubuntu does work that way - slowly.

The 2G drive seemed not big enough for the install and trying to install
on the HP 8G card hasn't worked. Trying to set up a swap using a
partition on the card doesn't either. Hence the start of this cry for
help.

When I started into Launchpad, I then was directed to Question #44490
which had a similar problem. I tried the suggested solution: install -
with no localisation, manual partition, no swap and all that - got a
message that the partition at 1850 was too small (but just by a few
bytes), went back and upped the size to 1900. Then was told there was no
root, not sure what to do there but tried using / which seemed to work.

When this took me through to the next step again, it told me I needed
2500 mb in the partition (which is of course more than is possible
there) and I don't understand why upping the size of the partion beyond
what was first asked for has now led back to square one.

I am stumped as to what to do and am running out of free time to keep
trying.

Ubuntu Eee Coders, which is an answer contact for Easy Peasy.