Re: [Question #56027]: disable touchpad tapping

Question #56027 on Easy Peasy changed:

Tommy Trussell proposed the following answer:
It took awhile (and then I forgot, sorry) but I got the procedure
working for eeebuntu 2, fresh install.

summary:

1) create a file /etc/modprobe.d/psmouse   (contains one line, as
follows)

options psmouse elantech=1

2) create a file /etc/hal/fdi/policy/shmconfig.fdi  (contains several
lines, as follows)

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
  <device>
    <match key="info.product" string="ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad">
      <merge key="input.x11_options.SHMConfig" type="string">True</merge>
      <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">synaptics</merge>
    </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>

3) run gnome-session-properties and enter the following:
   Name: Touchpad Off While Typing
   Command: syndaemon -i 1 -d -t -K
   Comment: Disables touchpad 1 second after keystrokes

4) reboot

OK so that will work, but I wasn't so happy with the touchpad defaults,
and for some reason even though I added the gsynaptics-elantech package
and used the Touchpad application, the settings did not seem to persist
across reboots. REVISED step 3 -- I removed my
/etc/hal/fdi/policy/shmconfig.fdi and reverted back to the one I
recommended in an earlier tip -- the one that includes both the
shmconfig AND all the funky touchpad settings. I named it
/etc/hal/fdi/policy/x11-elantech.fdi as before and that's what I am
using now.

(As for step 4, I have no idea why but I tried everything I could find
and I could not get HAL to reload its settings without a reboot.)

Ubuntu Eee Coders, which is an answer contact for Easy Peasy.