ubuntu-elisp team mailing list archive

Re: Builds of stable emacs releases?

Hi, sorry for the delay in response.

On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 6:35 PM, Len Trigg <lenbok@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am on ubuntu 14.04 LTS, which currently only has emacs 24.3 available.
> AFAIK there is no PPA that contains builds of emacs releases so it's hard
> for regular folks to to get 24.4 (and the soon to be released 24.5).  I see
> you guys have emacs daily snapshots, so was wondering if you would be able
> to add each official release as it came out?

This is a bit tricky at the moment; those daily builds are produced by
launchpad recipes, which fire automatically every time lp:emacs
updates. This used to work fine when emacs was using bzr for
development, but now emacs has switched to git, and the importer that
imports emacs git into lp:emacs bzr is really badly broken, so the
builds don't happen anywhere near as often as they should (and even
when they do trigger they often just fail to build, it's a really big
mess).

There's some rumours going around that launchpad will adopt git
support, and perhaps at that time it will be possible to get this
stuff all working again.

In the mean time, emacs is actually surprisingly easy to compile
yourself if you really need it; just './configure && make && sudo make
install' and you're on your way. It's an option if you're really
hurting for a newer version of emacs on 14.04.