ubuntu-elisp team mailing list archive

Re: Builds of stable emacs releases?

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the reply.

On 10 April 2015 at 09:05, Robert Park <robert.park@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> There's some rumours going around that launchpad will adopt git
> support, and perhaps at that time it will be possible to get this
> stuff all working again.

Is it not possible to ignore emacs git altogether and have a stable ppa
that builds from the emacs source release tarballs? I assume that it isn't
hard to do manually for each stable release, given how infrequent they are?

> In the mean time, emacs is actually surprisingly easy to compile
> yourself if you really need it; just './configure && make && sudo make
> install' and you're on your way. It's an option if you're really
> hurting for a newer version of emacs on 14.04.

And install all the packages needed for compiling, configure, etc. I have
multiple 14.04 machines at home and a couple at work, and try to avoid
having to go through all that on all of them, and there are probably a
large fraction of people in the same boat (which is why I thought having
the semi-official stable releases ppa would help).

Cheers,
Len.