ubuntu-gaming team mailing list archive

Re: Ubuntu Gaming Team

On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 09:08 -0400, Danny Piccirillo wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 09:02, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>         Top posting fixed.  Ugh.
>
>         > On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 08:40, Scott Kitterman
>         <ubuntu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>         > wrote:
>         >
>         >> First, apologies for the off topic cross-posting to many
>         lists, but it
>         >> was
>         >> really hard for me to tell which one to drop.
>         >>
>         >> > In recognition of the value of FOSS gaming, the Ubuntu
>         Gaming Team has
>         >> > been
>         >> > formed of mutual benefit to Ubuntu and FOSS gaming. As of
>         today, the
>         >> team
>         >> > is
>         >> > now open for anyone to join and participate in. Working
>         towards
>         >> improving
>         >> > FOSS games and developing its community will turn a
>         significant
>         >> barrier
>         >> > against Ubuntu adoption into an appealing reason to
>         switch.
>         >> >
>         >> > The Ubuntu Gaming Team will work to address the obstacles
>         hindering
>         >> growth
>         >> > in FOSS gaming such as the need for effective distributed
>         content
>         >> > management
>         >> > or significant investment in free content development in
>         order to
>         >> promote
>         >> > FOSS gaming through Ubuntu and Ubuntu through FOSS
>         gaming. New ideas
>         >> are
>         >> > encouraged and appreciated.
>         >>
>         >> I appreciate the enthusiasm, but with your choice of names
>         is going to
>         >> cause problems.  First, while an effort like you are
>         describing might
>         >> benefit Ubuntu, it is not about doing anything within
>         Ubuntu (the
>         >> distro),
>         >> it seems to be about trying to leverage the Ubuntu
>         community towards a
>         >> goal.
>         >>
>         >> As it happens, Ubuntu (the distro) already has a team that
>         works with
>         >> Debian on packaging FOSS games for Debian and Ubuntu.  This
>         team is the
>         >> Debian Games team.  Based on the first reply to your
>         message, you've
>         >> already created a point of confusion.  Ubuntu (the distro)
>         doesn't need
>         >> a
>         >> team to cooperate with the Debian games team as it is
>         already a joint
>         >> Debian/Ubuntu team (this isn't the only case of this -
> [...]

Add a note at the bottom of the description saying there is no direct
affiliation and a link to the Debian team would be good enough IMHO.

I agree that this could push people to the Debian team over time and
have more people work with them. I would not do as some and jump on the
created team on day one, but let it evolve for a while and see where it
settles in the grand scheme of things. Adjustments if need can be made
then.

Regards

Phil