ubuntu-gaming team mailing list archive

Re: Possibly a great Idea to reach more players

The games browser idea has been much talked about by many different teams,
all with pretty good ideas, and some with pretty good implementations to
boot (e.g DJL)

However, they do seem to lack is a nice gaming like interface (save for
MirthKit, I guess), most of the game managers just stick with the default
gtk/qt themes, and end up looking like a settings panel :\  Another thing
that's missing is the mentioned social features, buddy lists etc.

So, Christian's idea, as I understand it, is to make a desktop interface in
the way of Ubuntu Netbook Remix, which still allows traditional start menus
to browse and run apps from, but gives the desktop estate to the games. I
think this can work, but in the end it isn't a neccesary design choice to
make it fullscreen, you can just as easily make an attractive, windowed
interface and add the needed social functionality that people want.