ubuntu-gaming team mailing list archive

Re: Possibly a great Idea to reach more players

Hi Ryan,

Python may be a good solution, but my coding background is object oriented
programming in php / ruby, so this is why I choose ruby. It should not be that
kind of a problem since the ruby gems I use are not that big and the merb
framework is rather tiny in size compared with a full stack like e.g. rails.
I don't speak python and don't wanna learn it, so I prefer ruby.

I'll check what the existing Gaming frontends lack... I am sure they miss
something, maybe important aspects. You could help me with that - please write
about whatever these frontends do bad or what they are not capable of.

To assure you that I don't like to work against exisiting Ubuntu Desktops, I
changed my view of how to embed the frontend. Instead of setting it to
fullscreen, what might be a bit too invasive (in Desktop using terms), I
changed it, so that it works like a desktop background - so it is fixed to the
root window of X11. It's more elegant in my opinion. Thanks for the tip.

What I have running here now reminds me a little bit of what was "Active
Desktop" in my early Win98 days ;-) But it is fast, reliable and does not
consume too much memory.

When the whole thing is ready to show off, I'll send some screenshots and maybe
a little demo will be available in the next weeks.

thanks,
Christian