ubuntu-gaming team mailing list archive

Re: Possibly a great Idea to reach more players

b4rd3 wrote:
> Hi there, Ubuntu Gaming Team.
>
> Well, I have the idea to write a gaming frontend ( I already have a
> proof of concept - it works).
Hi Barde,

I can see that great minds think alike, I do have a similar project (
http://lutris.net , the website is not very interesting right now )
going which might have  many goals in common with yours.
I also had the idea of a fullscreen frontend but i soon realized that it
wasn't on my priority list for the project, you can still have a look of
the result I'd want to get here :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26jrYKW0nhQ (Note : I did not write the
coverflow stuff , I got it here :
http://groups.google.com/group/pyglet-users/web/
<http://http://groups.google.com/group/pyglet-users/web/>CoverFlow.tar.gz )

As for now my main goal is to have a powerful base to support every
single game playable on GNU/Linux. This means Open Source games,sure,
but mainly  every other game from other platforms that Linux can handle
(this means NES, Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn, Sega
Dreamcast, Windows games, Arcade games, Amiga, Atari ST, and so on ...)
. When you think about it, GNU/Linux can run more than 90% of every
video game ever created.
My goal is to provide an enjoyable way to run all of theses games,
provide a single place where you configure your joypad, run every game
fullscreen, get rid of that stupid bug that activates the screensaver
when using the joypad.
I shall also provide a way to backup game configuration and saves on a
web server (think Steam Cloud but better).

I also had some work done on this project, right now i can type lutris
left4dead and I'll play Left4Dead with Cedega, or type lutris
supermetroid and zsnes will run Super Metroid.

As for the front end, like I said earlier that will come in the later
stages of development, but reading from your messages I'd hate to have
to end my user session to start another environment. You are more than
welcome to prove me wrong but I doubt you'd gain anything from this
'gaming mode' (I once had a bash script called gaming_mode and one day I
deleted it, telling  to myself "OK, this is just useless" ). I don't
even care about turning Compiz off as the performance gain isn't worth
the effort.
A pleasant experience of running a game is clicking on an icon, or
calling it with Gnome-Do or with a nice and quick frontend and have your
game without any questions asked. No matter if  I have Firefox or
Eclipse  running , I might want to return to my code after a quick play.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure we share the same goals so i would be OK with
merging the two projects together, or if the two projects go on separate
roads we should at least share the game database.

Best regards

Mathieu Comandon