ubuntu-gaming team mailing list archive

Re: Possibly a great Idea to reach more players

Hi Mathieu,
thanx a lot... obviously there are people working on such things.
I also thought about supporting emulated games - it wouldn't be that difficult,
but at first one has to set some priorities.

At first there should be a limited support of games - at the moment I think
about just these games that you can get directly out of the official
repositories. This would mean, that these games would run. It's not that
trivial to run every single game on every distribution. Just think about
32bit/64bit games. There the problems just begin. What if someone is missing a
library and so on.... that NOT trivial.

So at first starting with a limited set of games is a must. Emulation or WINE
based games may follow, when the system evolves a little bit. Same is for low
priority things like screensaver or gamepad configuration problems. They can be
solved - for sure - by just a little code that one still has to implement.
There are other programs like vlc which can prevent screensaver modes when
watching a film.

Sharing a game database would be a great idea, for I have not the time to do
all on my own. Help is appreciated. Maybe you could start with a list of games
(a spreadsheat would be ok atm) that are in the repositories. I think about a
nice scheme for it in the next days. We have to think about things like title,
homepage, detailed text, category and so on.

Ah well, here is my proof of concept, that my server/client side solution
works. Don't say anything layout, screendesign related, 'cause I work on
something nice, this what you can see here is just some placeholder layout.
http://www.christian-ahmer.de/pastebin/rockix_test.ogv

The black window that you can see after starting nexuiz is just a bug in gtk-
recordmydesktop as it doesn't record fullscreen opengl games correctly.

An integrated irc via embedded webservice is just an idea and may come or not.
Depends of if we like it in the end.

greetings,
Christian