ubuntu-gaming team mailing list archive

Lets start rocking - idea of spawning ubuntu gaming clan

Greetings all

I think it's time that our team to make a concrete step towards its goal:
marketing ubuntu through gaming.

Several different approaches has been suggested, and I think most of them
have been good! But right now we need to do what we can with what we have.
To truly market ubuntu through gaming we need an active gaming community: a
clan (or  "herd" to make it sound ubuntuish).

The herds long term goal would consist of several things:

   - being able to provide a server for linux gamers to play games on, and
   maybe raise activity on some good but under-populated mutilplayer games
   (like blood frontier).
   - arrange fundraisers monthly for a game project of choice. This could
   give games a small push forward. I don't expect astronomical numbers to be
   donated, but they'll hopefully at least give a warm fuzzy feeling to the
   developers and make them feel appriciated.
   - arrange coordinated matches versus other gaming clans on other distros.
   If we could make debian, fedora, opensuse etc to create gaming teams of
   their own and arrange linux-gaming tournaments where you're fighting for
   your distros pride... Now if that dosen't bring attention to linux gaming, i
   don't know what will ;-) (note: this does not mean by any way mean that only
   pro players will be accepted at the herd - all, including casual players,
   should be welcomed).

This is of course the best-case scenario, but first things first...

We need to create that herd. I propose that there will be 3 herds based on
timezones. Drawing inspiration from the ubuntu boards, the three herds
should be created: America, Europe/Middle East/Africa and finally
Asia/Oceania, with one coordinator on each.

what do the good people on this list feel regarding this idea? Do we have
volunteers that would like to take on part of the responsibility to create
this community?

*Khalid Rashid <khalid.rashid@xxxxxxxxx>* My PGP public key ID:
BFC11F5F<http://keyserver.ubuntu.com:11371/pks/lookup?search=0xCC9370B757DE41F0A9B35496A8F1137DBFC11F5F>

 *"In the middle of every difficulty