ubuntu-gaming team mailing list archive

Re: Lets start rocking - idea of spawning ubuntu gaming distro?

Ryan Prior wrote:
On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 10:23 AM, Lupine <thelupine@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I would have to agree with those that have already mentioned, that
promoting WINE for the use of commercial gaming, does not coincide with
the above objectives.  If there is a desire to promote "complete
gaming", meaning non-FOSS games, then we need to decide to either 1.)
change the objectives or 2.) create a different group.  I honestly don't
see how any progress can be made until this is clearly defined.

Similarly to how Ubuntu has a Main, Universe, and Multiverse
repository, we could have three corresponding components. Games which
we actively promote and use in our leagues, gaming nights,
advertising, etc are most carefully tested and curated, and those are
the Ubuntu-games Main component. Other libre games in our system are
in the Universe component. Finally, proprietary games supported by
Wine and native GNU/Linux ports of proprietary games form the
Multiverse component, and we can use as many notices as are necessary
to let users know that the Multiverse component hates their freedom.

Just as Ubuntu focuses on libre software but doesn't pretend that the
occasional need for non-libre software doesn't exist, I think that we
can fulfill our mission to promote libre games without ignoring the
(sizable and vocal) segment of our community that enjoys non-libre
games.

Ryan