ubuntu-gaming team mailing list archive

Re: Lets start rocking - idea of spawning ubuntu gaming distro?

Ryan Prior wrote:
On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 2:02 PM, sakuramboo <sakuramboo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Meanwhile, I'm sitting here
with a piece of software that I spent money on that I can't use. All for
what? Just so I can "enjoy" a new game?

That's actually the same when you buy it from the store, generally.
Most game stores don't allow returns, and it can be impossible to
predict whether a game will work well on your computer even if you've
got fairly modern hardware and licensed Microsoft Windows. This is one
of the drivers of illegal downloading of games; when you download
illegally, you aren't stuck with a bill when games don't work.
The difference is, if I have a problem running a certain piece of software, I can contact the developers. With Wine, the developers will just say "You are not running Windows, we can't help you." Then, if I contact the Wine developers, they will just say "That is a problem with the way the program was coded. Contact them."
The repos should be house to native titles only.

I should clarify that I'm not actually talking about repos for
commercial games at all. What I'm saying is that we can still
acknowledge the existence of and desire for non-libre games while
pursuing our own goal of promoting libre games as well. This means
making available good Wine documentation and resources to help players
run the games they choose, while focusing resources and marketing
materials on quality libre games.

Ryan
The repos are not supposed to be storing documentation on how to configure Wine. That is what winehq is for.

But, also remember, non-libre does not mean Windows-only. Don't forget of the native Linux titles out there.