ubuntu-gaming team mailing list archive

Re: AMD/ATI vs NVIDIA vs Intel

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 05:12, Joe Sloan <joe@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That's IMHO a rough oversimplification.

Yes, i meant for it to simplified.

> Nvidia has always had good performing, albeit closed source, linux video
> drivers. I've bought a lot of nvidia cards over the years and I like them
> for gaming. While their drivers are closed source, they have always been
> very quick to update them and they track kernel updates very quickly.

Yep, but as i said, i'm only interested in open drivers.

ATI has historically offered half hearted linux support and closed source
> video drivers for linux, very late, lacking features and performing worse
> than their windoze drivers. Their recent opening up to linux will help
> matters but it is taking time. In the long term they may be a good choice.

This is what i mostly wanted to confirm. Thier history of crappy closed
drivers doesn't matter because i'm only concerned with the state of these
companies right now. So, ATI is completely open now, correct? The problem is
that we haven't caught up yet, but in the long term, this means open
drivers. Can you or somebody else break this down and explain even further?
What else exactly needs to be done for us to see open ATI graphics drivers
and around how long will it most likely take?

Intel graphics have generally not been as high performance as nvidia or ati,