ubuntu-gaming team mailing list archive

Next Ubuntu Gaming Team meeting, 09/27 in #ubuntu-meeting!

Please forward widely
http://blog.thesilentnumber.me/2009/09/calling-all-foss-game-artists-and-free.html

The first Ubuntu Gaming Team <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GamingTeam> meeting
was a huge success! With over *two hours* of discussion going strong, we
covered a lot of ground. One of the major topics for out next meeting, and
our most ambitious project, is coordinating the creation of a distributed
content development<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GamingTeam/Projects/DistributedContentDevelopment>
platform.
For this, we will need lots of input from FOSS game artists and free content
producers like the Blender Open Movie Project.

The meeting will be on 9/27 @ 19:00
UTC<http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=9&day=27&year=2009&hour=19&min=0&sec=0&p1=0>
in
#ubuntu-meeting
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GamingTeam/Meetings/Minutes/2009-09-27
Please contribute to the agenda!

Lack of good content is the #1 impediment for FOSS games. Most developers
are not artists and the challenge of content creation is much more difficult
than code. The need for FOSS content is the same for code, but current
platforms that exist for code do not offer features needed for content. Code
is all text and much easier to handle, while content is difficult as you
cannot “diff” a picture or a blender file. On top of that, while distributed
code development has been refined since computers were invented, content is
a much newer ground, especially to apply FOSS distributed development to,
and it simply hasn't received any of the focus and effort that code has.

We need input to help agree on a base for the platform and what features are
most needed. Additionally, we might like to look to Canonical and/or the
Blender Institute for support as they will benefit most from and be willing
to contribute to such a project.
--
☮♥Ⓐ - http://www.google.com/profiles/danny.piccirillo

Follow ups