ubuntu-gnome team mailing list archive

Re: Suggestion for a possibility to have a stable version of Ubuntu Gnome 3.6

2012/9/10 Jeremy Bicha <jbicha@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> On 7 September 2012 03:18, Julien Olivier <julo42@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I must be missing something, obviously, but what prevents us from
>> having multiple versions of the problematic packages (nautilus, totem
>> and the needed libraries) in the repository and have
>> ubuntu-gnome-desktop depend on the latest versions while
>> ubuntu-desktop depends on the oldest versions? It's already possible
>> for other packages like gstreamer or python AFAIK.
>
> Having those multiple versions is possible, but it adds a lot of
> complexity for little benefit. I don't believe any Ubuntu developers
> will bother doing all of that work for 12.10 when there are other,
> more interesting, more important problems to be worked on. From the
> command line, adding the GNOME3 PPA is as easy as:
>
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> And it's nearly as easy from the GUI.

Yes, except that there is a *big* difference between having something
out of the box, and having to do anything to get some packages. This
little difference will mean a lot in testing (and thus bug reporting)
and visibility for upstream totem and nautilus (and gnome-shell?),
and, incidently, for the whole gnome experience. Ubuntu being a
reference today, GNOMEbuntu will hopefully become a reference for
GNOME users, and they will judge what they will get out of the box...

That said, I understand the difficulty and I thank you for what you've
already done!