ubuntu-hams team mailing list archive

Re: Anateur Radio stackexchange

* On 2010 23 Aug 09:36 -0500, Steve Conklin wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> There's a proposed new group at stackexchange for amateur radio.
>
> Stack Exchange is a community moderated question and answer site, and
> there's a new amateur radio group that's in the proposal phase.
>
> Check it out and contribute. It's very early and this is a chance to
> help shape this group. I know we have a lot of international hams on
> this list, and it would be great to have their perspective.

When the first question is, "How can I modify my radio to transmit on
police frequencies?", I'm thinking this site will need a LOT of help.
Unfortunately, that is exactly what too many hams do to a new radio.

> Note that this is not associated with Ubuntu or even Linux, and is a
> general interest resource. With some guidance by knowledgeable hams,
> this could be a very valuable resource.

I'm not going to debate its value but wouldn't most prospective hams
find their way to ARRL, QRZ, or eHam first (I honestly don't know as I
was licensed well before the worldwide web)?

73, de Nate >>