ubuntu-hams team mailing list archive

Re: Martin, AA6E, reviews the QS1R SDR in Sept 2010 QST

On Tue, 2010-08-24 at 12:33 -0400, Martin Ewing wrote:
> Me too, though it's not clear if the "answers" are supposed to be to
> the questions or whether they are meant to be comments on the
> suitability of the questions for the proposed forum...  Since it's
> just a trial balloon, there are no "real" questions & answers yet.  So
> it seems.  I wonder how or if the universe of perplexed real or
> wannabe hams will find their way to this site.

This is just the trial phase, so all people are doing is commenting on
the nature of the questions, and such things. It's intended to help form
a contributing community around it. When it reaches a certain number of
subscribers, it gets pushed public, and them there are real answers.

For a fully functional example, check out the Ubuntu one:

http://ubuntu.stackexchange.com/

Once the real Q&A part starts, contributors gain or lose points based on
the voting on the quality and usefulness of their answers. Answers get
selected based on this, and contributors can spend their points
moderating up or down other questions and answers. It's amazing how well
it works.

One of the real beautiful things about this is that if the answer
becomes obsolete, a new one can replace it. It's sort of like a
self-updating wiki.

Steve, AI4QR