ubuntu-hams team mailing list archive

Linux and ham radio, FLdigi, xdx & contesting

Thanks to Lee and everyone else who has taken the time to email me some helpful hints!!

The problem I currently have with FLDIGI is that it CONFLICTS with XDX - so I can't use the dx cluster to spot stations, auto-tune to them and then work with with FLDIGI - because FLDIGI seems to hog the port. I'm looking for a fix for that, but haven't found any yet. It took me FOUR weeks, just to find the right syntax in XDX to control my rig. There were many people claiming their syntax worked - but in the end I found the right one. I had the right code for my radio - but the rest was SOOO confusing:

*CORRECT CO*DE for me: *rigctl -m 104 -r /dev/ttyUSB0 set_freq %d*
Some others I tried, based on other users, none of these worked: *
rigctl -m 104 -r /dev/*rig*set_freq %d
****rigctl -m 104 -r /dev/tty/USB0 set_freq %d
****rigctl -m 104 -r /dev/ttyUSB0 set_freq %d*

With each time I found another user giving another syntax - I'd first try that - then try other radio codes, then try different settings - it was so hard to tell if the problem was my syntax or my rig code or something else I had no way of determining. All along, I was just not getting the right info. Now it's working.

Finally getting it to work was a short-lived happiness, however, as now I find it conflicts with fldigi and my woes are beginning again.

THIS is why I wanted to try to run a program like DXLabs, where all the components work together without conflict. I want to run a dx cluster, digital radio control and the ability to send CW, which was a three week process to figure out in Ubuntu. Finally found out:, to send CW, I have to be in Packet (USB) mode. Why? Maybe my confusion is just from too many years of running windows software to control my radios. But it really seems there aren't many great software solutions for hams in linux.

I'm currently running FLDigi, Klog & XDX. I miss all the other pieces of DXLabs (or HRD, from back in the day, now it's bloated and no fun). Where's the contest software? Like N1MM or similar?

If any of you have some lists of software you use and enjoy in Linux, please share them. I'm more than willing to learn something new - but I am having trouble finding them.

My original question was how to use windows software under wine and still use com ports, as the windows software doesn't see ttyUSB0 as an option. I didn't get that answered - so instead I'm trying to use the limited software available in ubuntu and I'm hopeful there's more out there I have not yet found.

Now, back to the frustration of trying to work a deaf special event station on 17 meters.

73 and thanks for all the help.

Lahra, KT9X

Lahra KT9X Svare
406-285-1025