ubuntu-lgbt team mailing list archive

Google Trends for Ubuntu

Hey guys,

One of my favorite things to track is the google trends results for Ubuntu, Linux, Suse, etc.

http://www.google.com/trends?q=ubuntu&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
Ubuntu's troughs (for releases) are increasing, although the crests are not. We'll have to see how high the crest for Jaunty goes.
http://www.google.com/trends?q=ubuntu+linux&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
This seems to be going down slightly.

I am fairly certain that the explanation for the searches not really increasing is that people already know about ubuntu.com and ubuntofurums.org, etc, so they are searching less.

http://www.google.com/trends?q=linux&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
I am betting that as people specifically know they want Ubuntu, openSuse, CentOS, etc, they search for plain "linux" less.

Certainly some Ubuntu's direct competition (that does not make their best work available for free) is doing worse.
http://www.google.com/trends?q=mandriva&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
http://www.google.com/trends?q=opensuse&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
http://www.google.com/trends?q=suse&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

I'm glad to see centOS doing well.
http://www.google.com/trends?q=centos&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
Sadly debian has not done well.
http://www.google.com/trends?q=debian&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

Gnome and KDE are down. XFCE is about the same
http://www.google.com/trends?q=gnome&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
http://www.google.com/trends?q=kde&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
http://www.google.com/trends?q=xfce&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

I am fairly certain XFCE is getting more popular as it matures. I bet more people are searching for Ubuntu rather than gnome.

BTW, kubuntu has not done well.
http://www.google.com/trends?q=kubuntu&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
Xubuntu is hanging in there
http://www.google.com/trends?q=xubuntu&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

The bazaar results are rather funny. Hopefully the VCS is a large part of the results.
http://www.google.com/trends?q=bazaar&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

-Mike

Follow ups