ubuntu-lgbt team mailing list archive

Re: Google Trends for Ubuntu

On Mon, 2009-04-27 at 01:14 -0400, Michael DePaulo wrote:

> One of my favorite things to track is the google trends results for
> Ubuntu, Linux, Suse, etc.
>
> http://www.google.com/trends?q=ubuntu&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
> Ubuntu's troughs (for releases) are increasing, although the crests are
> not. We'll have to see how high the crest for Jaunty goes.
> http://www.google.com/trends?q=ubuntu+linux&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
> This seems to be going down slightly.
>
> I am fairly certain that the explanation for the searches not really
> increasing is that people already know about ubuntu.com and
> ubuntofurums.org, etc, so they are searching less.

One of the things that it's important to note here is that Google don't
reveal how they compute the "Trend Index" they are actually graphing.

For example, the Trend Index could be relative to the search.  In which
case the levelling off simply tells you that the relative searches
between the search terms are now stable.

It's certainly not a metric for anything other than itself ;-)

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant
scott@xxxxxxxxxx