ubuntu-lgbt team mailing list archive

Re: Intel Graphics Driver Problems

Doc Kinne wrote:
Mike (et. al.):

On 03 May , 2009, at 02:44, Michael DePaulo wrote:
Hey Scott,

You were mentioning all sorts of problems with Intel's Linux drivers.

Now this article came out.
http://www.h-online.com/open/Ubuntu-9-04-and-Intel-graphics--/features/113196

"*For Linux users who don't need absolute top-notch 3D performance, Intel is considered the preferred graphics solution, not least because the company develops its drivers as open source within the framework of the X.org project. However Intel’s drivers are currently in a state of some disarray."

*"under Ubuntu 9.04 the Intel driver has "performance regressions" <http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/904#Performance%20regressions%20on%20Intel%20graphics%20cards>. In plain English this means that graphics on Intel chips are slower in the new release and that on some chips the X Server may even freeze – though there is at least a workaround <http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/904#Display%20freezes%20with%20Intel%20graphics%20cards> for the latter problem."

I haven't done and 3d or heavy video playing on my intel GMA 950 netbook (Asus Eee 901), but this does leave me a bit worried.

I'm very heavily considering an ASUS EeePC 1000. At this point I'm considering putting Eeebuntu (www.eeebuntu.org <http://www.eeebuntu.org>) on it. Eeebuntu is currently at V2 based on 8.10 and is waiting to go to 9.04 specifically until these driver issues are solved. They're thinking this could happen in the next two weeks.

---

Richard "Doc" Kinne • Rikardo «Dokĉjo» KINNE, BA, MSc., AMAAS

<kinnerc @ gmail.com> "I'm the Doctor, and you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up!"

- The Doctor

"Forests of the Dead," /Doctor Who/

Hmm, interesting. I wasn't aware of eeebuntu. At first I thought you meant easy peasy (formerly Ubuntu Eee).
http://www.geteasypeasy.com/

Anyway, I very much like the Eee 1000HE that my friend has. If you're in the US, you can often find it on sale for $350. And it's not like you can get a good netbook without the intel graphics adapter.
http://www.dealigg.com/search.php?search=1000he

BTW: Don't forget to reply to the entire list.

-Mike