ubuntu-lgbt team mailing list archive

Re: Intel Graphics Driver Problems

Mike (and the List):

On 03 May , 2009, at 10:06, Michael DePaulo wrote:
Hmm, interesting. I wasn't aware of eeebuntu. At first I thought you meant easy peasy (formerly Ubuntu Eee).
http://www.geteasypeasy.com/

Seems like there are a lot of different distributions out there. More than I originally thought as well.

Anyway, I very much like the Eee 1000HE that my friend has. If you're in the US, you can often find it on sale for $350.

I was on the verge of getting one yesterday, in fact, for that exact price, but they were out of stock at that point. :-(

BTW: Don't forget to reply to the entire list.

I thought I had, but obviously I hadn't. Thanks for the reminder.

To make this general to the rest of the folks here, because I'd like your comments as well, I am in the midst of moving to a Linux laptop. A few years ago I had a Dell Inspiron 7000 laptop that I used as a Linux testbed, i.e. was it actually possible for me to use Linux on a day-to-day basis. Largely it was. The problem I had was that I spent a month trying to get the wireless working on that laptop via an Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card. The incident, frankly, terrified me. My main production laptop was a Mac at that point and when its screen died a week before I was set to go to Cambridge for a week's research I was left with a decision: get a Linux laptop and hope that I wouldn't have a problem with the wireless, or get another Mac that I knew would work. I had to go with the Mac.

So now I'm in the position of wanting a netbook for communications as I travel around Boston. I have a Nokia N810 running the Linux-based Maemo and that's fine as far as it goes, but responding to emails on its keyboard doesn't work for me. So, I'm after something larger than it, but smaller and lighter than my MacBook. Thus I'm taking a hard look at the EeePCs

What has everyone else's experience been with regard to Linux on laptops?
---
Richard "Doc" Kinne • Rikardo «Dokĉjo» KINNE, BA, MSc., AMAAS
<kinnerc @ gmail.com>
"I'm the Doctor, and you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up!"
- The Doctor
"Forests of the Dead," Doctor Who