ubuntu-manual-website team mailing list archive

Re: [Ubuntu-manual] Plans for the websites

Hello.

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 5:34 PM, Ilya Haykinson <haykinson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I would add to this "Create a way to read the manual online", i.e. embed
> some flash-based PDF display, to let people without a PDF reader look
> through our manual.

You could embed Google's PDF viewer on our website:

  https://docs.google.com/viewer

I think it'll be a lot more interesting when we have an HTML version
of the manual online, though.  (I've got some ideas there.)

> We should also try to find a way to have key phrases from the manual indexed
> by search engines -- otherwise people won't find the manual when trying to
> answer their questions.

I think Google, at least, does a fairly decent job of indexing PDFs.
I'm not sure if it's aware of the PDFs on our site yet or not.

Adnane: Something we might want to look into is creating a
sitemap.xml, too.
(http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=156184&hl=en)

--Kevin