WEEKLY UPDATE: Blueprint assignments, translations, advocation and wiki changes

Hi everyone,

I think this is a good idea, basically I will send out an email every
Monday to the mailing list with important information for the coming
week, and I will also include anything noticeable that has occurred in
the weekly meeting the previous Saturday.

I'm going to condense some important topics into one email to save
your inbox some wasted e-paper.

=== BLUEPRINT ASSIGNMENTS ===

I have just finished modifying the contributions section of our wiki:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-manual#Contributions

As you can see, it's now a nice and easy step-by-step process for new
contributors to find something to do. But, it is reliant on one thing
- that the blueprints are kept up to date!

I believe that in the meeting on Saturday night, we basically got all
of the 10 chapters assigned to at least one person each, but I still
don't see 10 chapter blueprints on our blueprints page!

Please, please PLEASE if you are writing chapters 5, 8 or 10 could you
create a blueprint for  the chapter and assign yourself to it, so that
newcomers to our project don't think they're not assigned to anyone.

If they really aren't assigned to anyone, then I'll create some
unassigned blueprints and we'll have to find some people to write them
:)

Also I'd like to request people to leave notes on the white board for
their blueprints - it makes it easier for me to track. And keep the
progress etc updated, so we can see how we are going overall. Most of
the blueprints are either "not started" or "unknown" - which isn't
particularly useful. Unless they all the not started ones really are
not started... which I hope is not the case! O.o

=== TRANSLATIONS ===

So far we've had two offers for translating from two keen people -
which is fantastic, but...

... we don't have any translation infrastructure in place to support it!

This needs to be a high priority, I want to get this underway before
the end of the week so we can put these good people to work
translating asap. I have been told that LaTeX doesn't play nice with
rosetta on Launchpad, so we're going to have to look at another option
to keep track of translations - probably multiple, separate branches.

I'm going to talk to the head of translations tomorrow if he's around
to try and sort this out. In the meantime, people who are keen on
translating, read this:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-manual/Help#Translations

Also, anyone on the mailing list who knows about LaTeX, translations,
rosetta and Launchpad branches in general - speak up!

=== ADVOCATION ===

Attention for this project is good. We need attention, if we want to
attain our goals to be featured for the Lucid Lynx release in four
months time. With attention, we get contributors and help, and more
respect from the Ubuntu community - which is useful for a young
project.

I have contacted a couple of people to see if we can get a shoutout to
our project on Planet Ubuntu, but haven't heard back yet. If you know
any Ubuntu members with their blog aggregated to the Planet, please
tell them about us.

I've also been in touch with the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter to see if we
can be featured in next weeks newsletter.

If you've got Twitter, a blog, facebook, Ubuntu Forums signature,
email signature, friends who use Ubuntu, people you know who want to
contribute but don't know code, etc etc.. then please tell them about
us!

The easiest thing to do is send them the wiki link - all the
information they need is on there.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-manual

=== WIKI CHANGES ===

Myself and Joe Burgess have made some changes to the wiki recently.
The most obvious change will be the new layout, it's easier to
navigate and we can cram a whole lot more information in there now
without it seeming too daunting.

Some other changes:

As mentioned above, there is a new contributions section on the home page:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-manual#Contributions

Joe Burgess has kindly started writing his LaTeX howto:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-manual/Help#How to use LaTeX

I added a translations section to the help menu:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-manual/Help#Translations

The Table of Contents has undergone some modification, and is now here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-manual/TableOfContents

... and, while it's not there yet, I am about to finish adding some
more FAQ questions and answers:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-manual/FAQ

=== ADMINISTRATORS ===

Following my email the other day calling for another Administrator for
Launchpad, I had both Ryan Macnish and Joe Burgess show some interest,
so I made them both Administrators on Launchpad.

Our IRC nicks:

Benjamin Humphrey - humphreybc
Ryan Macnish - nisshh
Joe Burgess - jmburgess

The three of us will be keeping track of blueprints, bugs, milestones
and series as well as keeping an eye on the branch.

=== MEETINGS ===

As always, upcoming meeting information and past summaries can be found here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-manual/Meetings

Sayonara and Goodnight, good luck for this week and I'll see you on
Saturday for the weekly optional brief.

--
Benjamin Humphrey

Ubuntu Manual Project Leader