Re: Online survey: feedback requested

> But as for only writing articles for each LTS, I don't think it'd
> really be /that/ hard to update Ubuntu Manual every six months. The
> updates between each version of Ubuntu, no matter how significant, are
> usually sequential. Thus, so long as this project maintains 5-10
> people per Ubuntu release, I see no reason why every release can't be
> supported.

Let's get the first release of the manual out for Lucid, and then we can
talk about all the future versions :-)

> Also, I haven't seen any talk of http://ubuntuguide.org. This was the
> guide that I used when I first started Ubuntu and has loads of
> information per release.

Thanks for the link.

 - this is an incredible guide, and clearly represents a ton of work
 - it's reasonably comprehensive, and has coverage related to some of the
topics that we intend to cover
 - it's not at all oriented at newbies

To be clearer about the last point, consider that the guide starts with the
following:

"How to find out which version of Ubuntu you're using
Open the command terminal and type:
   lsb_release -a
How to find out which kernel you are using
  uname -r"

So a user opens the guide, and needs to know: a) what a command terminal is,
and how to open it, b) how to type a command (note that they didn't say to
press enter), c) how to interpret the output of the lsb_release command, d)
what a kernel is, e) how to interpret the output of the uname command.

I am being picky on purpose -- some of the guide is a lot more accessible --
but I think it illustrates my point well. The purpose of the
ubuntuguide.orgis to be a concise but comprehensive reference to a
bunch of stuff, aimed at
moderately advanced users willing to tinker with their system mainly via the
command line.

But it doesn't at all tell someone who has some level of trouble with
Windows or Mac OS how to use Ubuntu -- which is the purpose of our manual.

I think that the ubuntuguide website would be a wonderful thing to reference
in the Learning More chapter.

-ilya