Re: building manual to different languages

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 02:17:44PM +0100, Martin Lukeš wrote:
> Just just out of curiosity.
>
> How can I "compile" manual to different languages (other than English)?

Building the manual in languages other than those it is written in is
not at the moment a priority. We're channeling as much of our energy as
we can into getting the thing written in English, with translations
being something of a secondary goal at the moment. (Not to say they
aren't important, it's just that it's a bit tricky to translate
something that's in as much flux as the project is now.)

However, if you do want to generate a translated version of the manual,
you need to use po4a. It's in the "main" repository, so you should just
be able to apt-get install it.

To generate the output file, you can use the "po4a-translate" command.
As an example, I will demonstrate building the Arabic version.

$ po4a-translate -f latex -m main.tex -p po/ar.po -l arab-manual.tex -k 0

If all is well, that should build a Arabic version in the current working
directory. You can then just "pdflatex arab-manual.tex" to produce a PDF
file.

Note this is intended as a stopgap solution until I finish working out
the details of the automated build system. Also, there may be encoding
issues, ask one of the other LaTeX guys as I've never understood file
encodings.

--
Josh "dutchie" Holland <jrh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
http://joshh.co.uk