Fwd: Fwd: IMPORTANT: Feedback from Martin Owens

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Martin Owens <doctormo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 1:19 PM
Subject: Re: Fwd: IMPORTANT: Feedback from Martin Owens
To: Benjamin Humphrey <humphreybc@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Martin Owens <doctormo@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hey there,

> 1. "Ubuntu Manual" text on title page is blurred.  Yeah, gripe to
> inkscape about it. Right now we're just converting the svg to pdf
> using inkscape, and that's what it gives us.  Converting the
> text/fonts to paths and then converting may help, but there are other
> conversion problems going on, too.  It seems that inkscape doesn't
> support transparency in PDFs too well at the moment.

There are ways around that and ways to help with that. Using the latest
version of inkscape for instance, or as you say converting to paths.

> 3. Contact details should be with the copyright details and contain
> PDF links.  Well, yeah, they will be when I get the copyright page put
> in. Also, they're already links, so I'm not sure what the complaint
> refers to there.

PDFs can contain real links, that do things when you click on them and
that are blue so they stand out.

> 4. Page break issues (i.e., 'Canonical' should move to the next page).
>  Handling special cases of page breaks will be the *very* last thing
> that gets done -- after all the text is written, after I've finished
> the document style, etc.  Doing it before then just means you'll spend
> the remainder of your days moving manual page breaks around and that's
> just silly.

Not manual breaks... I'd avoid them. What I'm suggesting is the use of
LaTeX styles which bind titles to paragraphs and put a minimum number of
lines on a page before breaking the whole thing, you can do it in
openoffice writer, I'd assume you can do it in LaTeX too.

Martin,

--
Benjamin Humphrey

Ubuntu Manual Project Leader