Re: UMD: Preparation

*Todo (not only) for the design team:
 * Mission statement / strategy
 * Audience, Context, Tone, Message
  (tone and message also pertaining Ubuntu)
 * Title, "Manual" vs ?
 * Work out possible means of expression regarding the above
 * Layout considerations
  * Understanding the current layout and font choices
  * Work out A4 and Letter layouts, single and double sided (?)
 * Implementation
  * Handling title page translation*
*
Anything to add?*
*
*
*That sounds good. Perhaps we need to start thinking how we're going to
handle screenshots too.*

*Mission statement
=================

To create and deploy[!] a document that is suitable as first point of
reference regarding the use of Ubuntu by beginner-level users.

In addition to the system software, it shall also discuss a few selected
applications that are part of the default installation, as there is
assumed to be a common interest among beginner-level users. [Note: risk
of scope creep.]

The document shall be ready for the upcoming Ubuntu 10.04 release and be
updated for every following release (6 month cycle).

The manual is being written and to be maintained by the Ubuntu Manual
Team.
*
*I like the first paragraph. The second one needs to mention that we don't
*just* cover software in the manual - there are many other things like
history of ubuntu, philosophy etc.. well, you guys know the ToC. Other than
that, that's good - it's simpler than my current summary on the wiki front
page.
*
*Justification
=============

There seem to be no documentation that combines the following desired
characteristics:
 * free of charge (also free of advertising)
 * kept up to date and released in sync with Ubuntu
 * detailed
 * written as introduction
 * highly internally consistent
 * translated into many languages
 * community based*

Once again, that's a lot better than the existing documentation. It doesn't
take a poke at the other doc teams ;)

*Next
====

Now I'd like to read everyone's thought on
 * a closer definition of the target audience
 * context: how/where/when/why do users come across our document?
 * What should the title page say, factually and emotionally?
  About our document and about Ubuntu?
 * Alternatives to calling it a "Manual"?
 * Layout and fonts, if you can say something already*
*
*
I think the only way we're going to get a good target audience definition is
by eliminating who we AREN'T aiming the manual at. So, little kids, *very*
old people, computer-savvy people, IT gurus, Linux developers, Comp Sci
students/graduates etc...

... so that boils down to something like:

 * New people to Computers in general, but who might already have an
understanding of the keyboard/mouse
 * Migrants from Windows who haven't really used Linux before or don't know
what it is
 * People converting from other desktop environments? (KDE, XFCE etc..
although they're probably more likely to use Gnome first before KDE)

Feedback?

I think the title page needs to basically say what the document is, who it's
for, why you'd want to read it, what (manual) version it is, what Ubuntu
version it's for and who it's written by. But at the same time it can't be
too cluttered :P

As for emotional - I'm not too sure. I've never thought about
manuals/publications in an emotional mindset. I would say that it needs to
be welcoming to all types of people.

Alternatives to calling it a manual? Well, "Ubuntu Quick Start Guide",
"Ubuntu Beginners Guide", "Ubuntu: A Beginners Guide", "New to Ubuntu? Read
this!!" etc etc...

Layout and fonts - I am *fairly* certain that our current layout and fonts
is what we're going to run with. Maybe some refinements with font colours
and indentation, but overall it looks professional but still welcoming.

Cheers,
Benjamin

Follow ups