Re: UMD: Preparation

On Wed, 2010-01-27 at 20:10 +1300, Benjamin Humphrey wrote:

Screenshots
===========

> That sounds good. Perhaps we need to start thinking how we're going to
> handle screenshots too.

I think just resizing them to the same width is not a good idea.

They should be taken at the same display resolution. All shots of the
entire desktop or of maximized windows will have the same size, then. No
actual resizing on a bitmap level, as it would mutilate text and icons.

Shots of smaller dialogs could either be used with the same DPI (pixel
to physical size on paper mapping) as the big ones, or take a standard
width or height.

Font rendering settings must be the same for all shots, too (Well,
should be covered by everything-at-default).

Mission statement
=================

>> To create and deploy[!] a document that is suitable as first point of
>> reference regarding the use of Ubuntu by beginner-level users.
>>
>> In addition to the system software, it shall also discuss a few
>> selected applications that are part of the default installation, as
>> there is
>> assumed to be a common interest among beginner-level users. [Note:
>> risk of scope creep.]
>>
>> The document shall be ready for the upcoming Ubuntu 10.04 release and
>> be updated for every following release (6 month cycle).
>>
>> The manual is being written and to be maintained by the Ubuntu Manual
>> Team.

> I like the first paragraph. The second one needs to mention that we
> don't *just* cover software in the manual - there are many other
> things like history of ubuntu, philosophy etc.. well, you guys know
> the ToC. Other than that, that's good - it's simpler than my current
> summary on the wiki front page.

The 2nd paragraph is not exclusionary.

Ideally, the core of the project can be defined in a single sentence
(with the aid of a few definitions, if need be). Then everything else
follows and is thus secondary.

In this case, I felt compelled to express that applications are not
entirely out of the scope. Providing background information regarding
Ubuntu could be seen as more direct consequence of the first paragraph
and I tried to avoid listing consequences.

But what we have now suffices as base for the design either way :)

Audience
========

I actually wanted to send a new mail after Benjamin's announcement
regarding the design team. Only then I noticed his reply partly quoted
here went to the list already :}

> I think the only way we're going to get a good target audience
> definition is by eliminating who we AREN'T aiming the manual at. So,
> little kids, *very* old people, computer-savvy people, IT gurus, Linux
> developers, Comp Sci students/graduates etc...

Yes, it tends to be easier going that way.

>  * New people to Computers in general, but who might already have an
> understanding of the keyboard/mouse

According to the style guide, knowing how to use mouse and keyboard is
expected. Everything required to make it to our document in the first
place is a prerequisite, already ...

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-manual/StyleGuide

>  * Migrants from Windows who haven't really used Linux before or don't
> know what it is

The styleguide picks up an argument from Martin Owens in favor of
avoiding "Linux", as the term is thought to be associated with being
hard to use.

There might be some truth in it, but on the other hand, Linux is widely
known and explaining that Ubuntu is a Linux distribution (not in this
words, though) can help some people to put it into context. Anecdote
isn't data, but I have relatives who had at least heard of Linux, but
not Ubuntu.

>  * People converting from other desktop environments? (KDE, XFCE etc..
> although they're probably more likely to use Gnome first before KDE)

I think these will likely be more knowledgeable already. I'd say just
outside of the target audience.

Tone and Message
================

What Benjamin listed reformatted and prioritized,
The title page needs to say:
 * what the document is
 * what Ubuntu version it's for (high because it belongs to the first)
 * who it's for
 * why you'd want to read it
 * what (manual) version it is
 * who it's written by

The "why you'd want to read it" is tricky. Could work indirectly, if we
can hint at what you can do with Ubuntu. See icons on David Nel's
proposal:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-manual/Artwork?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=UbuntuManual_V3_KolorGuild.jpg

> As for emotional - I'm not too sure. I've never thought about
> manuals/publications in an emotional mindset. I would say that it
> needs to be welcoming to all types of people.

Regarding the connection to Ubuntu, quite a lot could be taken from the
following, although I wrote it with themes in mind:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Documentation/Briefing
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Documentation/Message

First I see a need for an aura of competence. The topic of our document
--Ubuntu-- is solid, secure, trustworthy, capable.

It is empowering. You, the user, can accomplish something with it.

Finally there is the idea of community.

The Name
========

 * Ubuntu Manual
 * Ubuntu Quick Start Guide
 * Ubuntu Beginners Guide
 * Ubuntu: A Beginners Guide
 * New to Ubuntu? Read this!!

All with or without version number (10.04) directly behind Ubuntu.

Others? Thoughts on the given?

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software: