Getting going and hit a speed bump, LaTex 2009 install and install_pkgs.sh

I am trying to get the environment sorted to work on this project and I am
 having a few problems. I have a relatively clean Karmic install and I
didn't have any Tex version installed. I followed the instructions on the
Help page on the wiki and Prerequisites page. I installed groundcontrol and
got the files for the project. I tried running the install_pkgs.sh and it
said it didn't see an TexLive installation. I did not uninstall TexLive
because I hadn't installed it before. I then installed TexLive2009 as per
the instructions. I added the path to the TexLive bins as per the TexLive
web page, opened a new terminal window, checked the path was setup and reran
install_pkgs.sh. It still says the following.  No version of TeX Live was
detected. The log file says the same.

I then tried to read the script to see what it was looking for and I see it
does a dpkg-query to find the texlive-base version. I then checked my
packages and as expected I do not have texlive-base because I never
installed it using synaptic/apt, I installed texlive2009 from the script.

Make PDF button works after a fashion except it says it substitutes defaults
for the places where it is missing things. This proves that at least I have
the tools installed ok to make the PDF.

What am I missing? If I had a tail I'd chase it a little longer and then
possibly wander off.

Let me know if/which logfiles would help.

Maia

Follow ups