Re: Contributing to the project

Hi Kevin,

On Sat, 2010-05-08 at 03:39 -0500, Kevin Godby wrote:
> Hello, Paul.
>
> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Paul Strickland
> > Hello,
> >
> > When I upgraded to Ubuntu 10.04 I was made aware of the Ubuntu Manual
> > project, and thought the document was an excellent guide for people new
> > to the operating system, so congratulations.
> >
> > I wanted to ask if I could offer some of my time to the project. Looking
> > at your Wiki page, I think I would probably fit best in the Editor
> > category. If you can make use of me I'd be glad to contribute in some
> > way; I've been using Ubuntu for about a year now and feel as though I
> > could be helping to increase its popularity!
>
> We'd be very glad to have your help!  As you've noticed, we've just
> released Getting Started with Ubuntu 10.04.  We now have two parallel
> goals: (1) release the translated versions as they're completed, and
> (2) edit our manual to fix all the bugs we didn't have time to get to
> previously and release a second edition.
>
> If you'd like to help us with editing the second edition, there are
> two primary ways to go about it:  (1) read through the first edition
> of the manual (which you can download from our site at
> http://ubuntu-manual.org/) and file bugs in Launchpad, or (2) if
> you're feeling more adventurous, and don't mind editing TeX files, you
> can download and install TeX Live 2009, check out our code from the
> bzr repository, and make corrections to the files themselves.  If
> you'd like to go the second route, the instructions at
> http://ubuntu-manual.org/getinvolved/editors will help you get
> started.  (The instructions can be a bit obtuse in some places, so if
> you hit snags, feel free to ask us for help. Additionally, if you have
> recommendations for improving the instructions, I'll happily accept
> those, too.)
>
> In any event, welcome to the project!  if you have any questions,
> comments, criticisms, etc., feel free to email this list or visit us
> on IRC (Freenode) in #ubuntu-manual.
>
> Thanks for your interest!
>
> --Kevin Godby

Thanks for the information. I followed the instructions for branching
the manual code and installing TeX Live 2009 without too many problems.
The only thing is that there doesn't appear to be a ubuntu-manual/pkgs/
directory from which to run the install-pkgs.sh script.

I think I've got plenty of material to read to try to familiarise myself
with the project, so I'll get stuck into that and keep an eye out for
any further news.

Cheers,

Paul