Re: Docs Team and Ubuntu Manual Project: Toward future cooperation

Hello all,

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 10:41 AM, Kevin Godby <godbyk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What are your thoughts on this matter? How do you think that we can
> work together? We think that the solution of 'everyone join the
> existing Docs Team process' is not directly workable, since it's clear
> we have some cultural and procedural differences right now -- much as
> having UMP just fork the Docs Team's content is a bad solution. How do
> _you_ think the UMP team can improve the working relationship between
> the two approaches?

Quick introduction, I am part of the Ubuntu Docs Team, but my main focus in
pretty much exclusively on the Ubuntu Server Guide.

I am all for working together in whatever fashion makes sense and will allow
for the best documentation possible.  At UDS there was a great session about
creating some type of "content pool" where content from the Learning
Project, Ubuntu Manual, Docs Team, etc can be placed.  Each project can then
use whatever content they'd like to create the end product they desire.
 Such as a Help system, PDF, printed book, etc.

I think this is a great idea and should hopefully smooth out any wrinkles
that have been created between the various teams.  In the session Mallard
was put forward as a format for the pool content.  I don't have any
experience as yet with Mallard, but will try to get familiar with it in the
coming weeks.  Anyway, I think the format and technical details
of collaboration are probably best suited to another thread or threads.

So as the server guide maintainer I just wanted to reply to your great
email, and see where I can help make the entire Ubuntu documentation rock
:-)!

Thanks again Kevin for starting this thread.

--
Party On,
Adam