Re: Cover page for Maverick

On Tue, 2010-08-31 at 20:40 +1200, Benjamin Humphrey wrote:
> We need to figure out whether we want to design a new cover page for
> each cycle, or just update the same one each time. My personal opinion
> and original vision was to have a new cover each time, to
> differentiate the separate books, keep the style updated as the Ubuntu
> theme and branding develops and it also gives us something fresh to
> show off each time.

Aside of the addition of "Second Edition" and thinner Circle of Friends
and wave pattern, this is what we have:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/2010/04/29/getting-started-with-ubuntu-10-04-title-page-design/

Using the same or similar design will signify consistency, stamina,
intentness, build trust and reduce the workload.

This should still apply to all design considerations:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-manual/Artwork

I think the current Ubuntu presentation values precision and confidence
over friendliness. The orange is on the aggressive side and has to be
used with care.

> When people see a new cover, they associate it with something new, a
> new book. If we just update the old one and keep using it, we'll lose
> that excitement - people won't know whether it's the same old book, a
> new book, or a new edition.

There's a middle ground. Also, as the content won't be all new, we
should not pretend it is. It's about maturing, not starting from scratch
each time.

> Bearing in mind that aubergine is for commercial and orange is for
> community, I feel we should have something bolder and more prominent -
> like
> this: http://www.amazon.com/Official-Ubuntu-Book-Benjamin-Mako/dp/0137081308/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283243654&sr=8-4
>

> While that uses aubergine, we can use Ubuntu orange as the most
> prominent colour.

Don't forget that we empower others and the cover should be in line with
that.

As long as the cover should be printing-friendly, we can't have edge to
edge fills and large fills with a white margin can appear clumsy,
easily.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software: