September meeting -- Follow up and Request

Team,

During yesterday's September Ubuntu Manual meeting, (transcript:
http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/09/10/%23ubuntu-manual.html), there was
 discussion around our current status, the upcoming release of 11.10, and
the 11.04 Natty manual.  In general, the question was raised as to *whether
we should continue with a manual release schedule that continually puts us 1
to 1.5 releases behind the current version.*

We also discussed some general topics about what might be done, outside of
more active participants, to speed up delivery.

Since there was no quorum of members present, the members on the call asked
that we schedule another meeting with the single agenda item of: *Should we
skip the 11.04 Natty release and begin immediately with 11.10?*

If you read the transcript, you will see that there was agreement that
skipping Natty would allow us to focus on the upcoming release, however,
there was genuine concern that doing so would, inevitably lead us to a
similar outcomes in future releases unless some refining of our current
methods takes place.

We discussed that some new method of writing and editing needed to be
devised: a wiki-like system, that allowed for moderated 'drive by' authoring
and editing that would solicit input from the broader Ubuntu team.

There was also discussion that, while the current process produced a
beautiful PDF file suitable for printing (via lulu.com), the current process
made it difficult for our translations coordinates to do their work in a
timely manner.  In fact, the Dutch team has had to pass on Natty due to the
late time frame.

*What is needed?*

We are asking that all interested attend a meeting next weekend to discuss
the following topics

   - Should the Natty release continue?
      - If so, what resources are needed to complete the process?
      - Set new release dates
   - Should the Ubuntu Manual process be halted, restructured, and retooled?
      - Clearly define the function and scope of our 'Manual'
         - How should it differ from
         https://help.ubuntu.com/11.04/index.html ?
      - Set up new tools to allow us to meet shorter release cycles
      - Provide for a wide appeal to casual 'bug fixes' with immediate
      updates (via moderation, i.e., editors)

As always, please select your best meeting times from the poll here:
http://www.doodle.com/auumezsmkw4fhx9e
And, the agenda is here: http://pad.ubuntu-uk.org/tXtRXeYMKv

If you are not able to attend, please feel free to respond with your
comments.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Follow ups