Re: Apologies

On Fri, 2012-05-18 at 23:03 +0100, Tony Pursell wrote:

> On 18 May 2012 21:15, Kev Quirk <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>         Hi Tony,
>
>         It's because the email comes from a person to the mailing
>         list. So when u hit reply, it replies to the person not the
>         mailing list. Hope this helps :)
>
>         Kev
>
>         Kind regards,
>
>         Kev Quirk
>         mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>         Sent using HTC Android
>
>         On May 18, 2012 6:59 PM, "Tony Pursell"
>         <ajp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>                 Apologies to anyone that I have replied to as an
>                 individual.
>
>                 Does anyone know why replies on this list default to
>                 the sender and not the list?  I am using Gmail.
>
>                 Tony
>

> In the Gmail web client. if I just Reply to this it will go to Kev
> Quirk.  Reply to All also goes to Kev, with CC to the List.
>
> Just using the default Reply option on other mailing lists I am on
> (ubuntu-uk and the Document Foundation's discuss list) replied to the
> List.
>
> So it is not just what Gmail is doing.  It has something to do with
> the mail I am replying to as well.
>
> On this list, if I want to just Reply to the List, I have to remember
> to remove the sender's email address from the To box and manually
> enter the List email address.
>
> A problem with Gmail is that you do not get feedback that you have
> replied to the list, i.e you do get the reply you sent in the
> 'conversation' in the Web client but it doesn't appear in Evolution's
> IMAP inbox.  So unless I examine my replies closely, I may not notice
> that it just went to the sender and not to the List.

In Evolution, the reply appears in the Sent Mail list (at least on mine,
but that could be because I sent it from Evolution). However, you have
to configure Evolution to store all Sent Mail on the Gmail/Sent Mail
folder for that to work properly (IMHO, again that's how I have it set
up, and it shows up there for me).

But, you are correct in that you have to physically check it to see if
it sent to the group or just the person. I think it would be better if
the list would send your messages back to you as a posted message.

Have a great day:)
Patrick.