Re: 'make' in endless loop

Hello, everyone.

To Jim: I didn't see anything in your logs that indicated a
show-stopping error. The logs that you and Hannie posted are typical.

On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 7:27 PM, Patrick Dickey <pdickeybeta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Glad you got it sorted out. I was thinking that mine took about 20
> minutes or so (just doing make ubuntu-manual-en_US.pdf). As for the
> errors, I think it depends on what they are. The ones that say things
> like marginpar moved on page xx or whatnot, are more informational than
> anything.

20 minutes?  Wow!  It sounds like something odd is happening.  When I
run it, it takes less than a minute:

$ make clean; time make
real	0m34.664s
user	0m38.690s
sys	0m1.916s

If it's consistently taking folks a long time to build the PDF, let me
know and I'll try to help you troubleshoot the issue.  It really
shouldn't take more than a couple minutes at the most.  (Our manual
isn't *that* complicated and LaTeX is quite speedy. It was designed
over 30 years ago, after all, and our computers have gotten a bit
faster since then.)

--Kevin