Re: Software Center update

Hey, Carsten.

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Carsten Gerlach <daswaldhorn@xxxxxx> wrote:
> It's great to see our manual there, direct in the "What is new" section.
>
> But it's not so good, that you have to "buy" it (for 0 $), because you
> need a Ubuntu Single Sign On Account for that. Is there a way to put
> it in the free section, like most of the free software is? I mentioned
> this issue some day before, see
> https://lists.launchpad.net/ubuntu-manual/msg03278.html

It appears that all packages submitted through this process end up
with a price and must be “purchased” – even if that price is $0.00.

I *think* that they're supposed to be fixing this in a later version
of the Software Center so that you no longer have to “buy” a $0.00
package, but I'm not sure.

The only other way to go about it (AFAIK) is to submit it through the
regular channels that get updated once per Ubuntu release. The problem
there is that we'd have to have the manual written quite early in the
Ubuntu release cycle.

If someone knows of a better way to go about all this, please let me know.

—Kevin