Re: Another manual

On Wed, 2012-08-08 at 10:00 +0100, Paddy Landau wrote:
> > How is the poster out of date?
>
> The final poster (as seen in post #85 of the thread) is version 5. The
> version on Spreadubuntu is version 4. You'll see a small formatting
> error on the top right, where an arrow feeds into the wording itself.

Gottcha. I looked at both versions, and didn't notice the error. I guess
I never considered version 4 to be out of date, since it looked almost
exactly like version 5 (from what I could tell at a quick glance).

> > The only "error" I see is a mis-spelling of Center
>
> As the standard is to use US English, we should change it (thereby
> creating version 6) and place it on Spreadubuntu. I do not know who
> maintains Spreadubuntu. We should, I think, also standardise the name
> of the file and include the language code, to allow translators to
> change it (should they want to).

I'm guessing that Keith Peter isn't from the US, so it makes sense that
he used his style of English. Plus, I was only joking about that being
an error.

Quick question: Are the only changes needed concerning spelling errors
(and/or style errors, if you want it to look like US English)? Or does
some of the actual content need to be updated?

> > who is the current maintainer of the poster? ... how much of a
> > problem would it be for the Ubuntu Manual team to take it over?
>
> No one. It was created by Keith Peter, who did a fantastic job, with
> subsequent input from the Community. Keith has released it under an
> open license, so anyone is welcome to take it over. However, wouldn't
> this be more appropriate for the Document team?

I figured that since it was posted in the Ubuntu Manual mailing list,
I'd throw that out. But, you're probably right about it being more for
the documentation team. Or some other team that's dedicated to something
like this (showing off new features, etc). Does the documentation team
have their own mailing list, or do they use ours as well? (I honestly
don't know)