Re: Contribution to improve the manual

If I remember correctly (and I'm sure Kevin, John, or someone else will
correct this), the ubuntu repository version isn't the full version (or
at least doesn't have some of the needed features).  Here is the code to
a bash script that *should* take care of the installation for you.  It's
assuming that you put the manual in /home/username/Projects/ and will
prompt you for the location of the TexLive installer (you need to
download it manually first), so you'll have to change the paths as
needed.  Here's the link to the latest version of TexLive
http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/install-tl-unx.tar.gz

----------------- begin copy here -------------------------
#! /bin/bash

# This script contains the final steps in the preparation of your
# computer for the Ubuntu Manual Project (English version). Please make
# the necessary changes for your localized version before running the
# script.

echo
echo "Now we are at the Installing TeX Live 2010 (or current version)
point"
echo
echo "The Ubuntu Manual requires TeX Live 2009 or later. The version of
TeX Live in the Ubuntu 9.10 repositories is 2007. In Ubuntu 10.04 or
later, there are packages for the current version TeX Live, but they are
not new enough. You must use the upstream version of TeX Live to compile
the manual successfully."
echo
echo "First, we will remove any Ubuntu TeX Live packages, if you have
them installed. This will remove all previous versions of TeX-Live using
rm-- as well as any installed through apt-get."

sudo apt-get remove texlive-*
sudo rm -rf /usr/local/texlive
sudo rm -rf ~/.texlive*

echo
echo "Please enter the location where your TeX Live Installer is
located, in the format of /path/to/tarball (~/Downloads for example).
NOTE*** You must type out the entire pathname for
example /home/username/Downloads instead of ~/Downloads"
read LOCATION

cd $LOCATION
echo
echo "Now we will unpack the tarball:"

tar xvf install-tl-unx.tar.gz
echo
echo "Then change to the newly-unpacked directory:"

cd install-tl-*
echo
echo "And finally run the script:"
echo
echo "When the script runs, please select any options you prefer before
you press \"I\". If you choose not to install everything, the minimum
that you’ll need is the following collections:"
echo "1. Essential programs and files (a)"
echo "2. LaTeX recommended packages (s)"
echo "3. XeTeX packages (C)"
echo "4. We highly recommend enabling the "create symlinks to standard
directories" option."
echo
echo "Under the language collections, you can skip all the
documentation, but be sure to install all the languages you wish to
translate into. (If the language you wish to translate into isn’t listed
in the menu, don’t worry, there are just no specific packages required
for that language.)  The default is to install everything."

echo "When you've selected the options you want, press 'I' to start the
installation. Note, that it will take some time to install."

echo
read -s -n1 -p "Press any key to start the installation, when you're
ready." PROMPTKEY

sudo ./install-tl

echo "Now, we can install the remainder of the packages with the
install-pkgs.sh script. (Note that this hasn’t been tested yet and it’s
pure guesswork on Kevin’s part! Let us know if it does or doesn’t work
for you.)"
cd ${HOME}/Projects/ubuntu-manual/pkgs
./install-pkgs.sh
echo
echo "If everything checked out okay, you should be able to run: \"make
ubuntu-manual-LANG.pdf\" where LANG is the language code (see the po/
directory for a list of supported languages). You will need to type \"cd
~/Projects/ubuntu-manual\" to get into the correct directory for making
the manual.  Thank you."

exit

---------------------end copy here -------------------------

When you copy and paste it, make sure that the word wrap is removed. If
the lines are not inside of ""'s, then it should be on one line.

Also this hasn't been tested in Precise. I wrote it during the Maverick
compilation and tested it there.  It's the commands from the author's
page without all of the extra information that is provided there. So
you'll want to compare the commands here to the commands on that page.

Hope this helps, and have a great day:)
Patrick.

P.S. I do have the complete script for prepping your computer (every
command needed from the authors page) if anyone wants that. I can post
it in an email to the group (or add it as an attachment to one). Be
warned though that it's long and has a lot of echo statements in it. I'm
a believer in making sure you know exactly what's happening at each step
of the way (as the short snippet above shows).