Re: [Fwd: Re: [tex-live] Question about Symlinks and the install-tl script (linux/unix)]

On Sun, 2012-08-26 at 12:38 +0200, Carsten Gerlach wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 26.08.2012 06:04, schrieb Patrick Dickey:
> > Per a chat that Kevin, Carsten, and I were having today, I sent an
> > email to the TexLive User Group, and asked why symlinks weren't
> > enabled by default. This is the response that I received back from
> > one of the members.
>
> Am 25.08.2012 23:37, schrieb Karl Berry:
> > I'm curious if there's a specific reason why symlinks are not
> > activated by default.
> >
> > Yes, there is: it would be wrong to mess with the user's system
> > directories by default.
>
> Ok, this is an argument. For us it means, that we should make the
> symlink section on the website more dominant, for example with an
> Warning triangle which we use it in the manual. On the other side,
> Kevin mentioned in this chat, too, that he will insert a check in the
> install-pkgs.sh script for these symlinks.
>
> Greetings, Carsten

I agree with you. In their case, they've designed TexLive to be
installed either as a local user or as root (system-wide). So, they
can't make that a default setting. At least that's how I understand
things.

For Kevin: I'll update the test site with a warning triangle and box
around the symlink portion.  That way if it goes live before the
install-pkgs.sh script is updated, people will see it.

Have a great day:)