Re: Guidelines: Getting started as author

Hi Mehmet, and welcome to the team.

I'll take a shot at this, and someone else can correct me if I'm wrong
in any places.

So, the steps are these (I'm going on the assumption that you've joined
the team and set up your ssh keys on launchpad. If not, you'll want to
follow the steps on the Authors Page from the site first).

Your initial pull (from the Authors page and the message you referred
to) is this

bzr branch lp:ubuntu-manual ubuntu-manual-raring

What that does is copies the files from the launchpad server to your
Projects directory (or wherever you run the command from) and sets the
subdirectory created (in this case, ubuntu-manual-raring) up with some
information that bazaar needs.

You need to do the rest of the steps from inside of the
ubuntu-manual-raring subdirectory (or whatever project you're using with
bazaar).

bzr pull # This pulls the latest version of the files down to your
directory

bzr push # This pushes your changes back to the launchpad server

bzr log # This shows you everything that's been done in the project.

Those *should* be the only commands you'll need for this project. If
you've ever used git, then the commands are essentially the same.
Something to remember is this: Always "pull" before you "push". That way
you're sure that you have the most recent versions of the files
available (and you don't accidentally change someone else's work).

As for texmaker, I'm not entirely sure whether it will work or not.
Aside from the installation, you really don't "do" anything with LaTeX.
The make command for the manual uses LaTeX behind the scenes, but you
don't actually run any commands for it. If I had to guess, I'd say "no"
it won't work, because the make command looks for LaTeX (or at least
runs commands that might be specific to LaTeX).

Kevin, John, or Hannie will be able to advise you better about this
though.

Have a great day, and if you have any more questions, please don't
hesitate to ask.:)

Patrick.