Re: Status of Getting Started with Ubuntu 13.10

Hi, Carsten.

On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 6:38 AM, Carsten Gerlach <daswaldhorn@xxxxxx> wrote:
> I have only some thoughts about it. It looks like that you wrote down
> all the captions from chapter to subsubsection. Is it the intention of
> the new \status command to put it down to every subsubsection? I
> thought to have this \status command only once in each tex file. So
> the status list would be much shorter (only 58 entries).

The \status command should appear only at the chapter or section
levels depending on how they were assigned.  The status for the
chapter should apply to all that chapter's sections, subsections, etc.
 The status of a section applies to its subsections, subsubsections,
etc.

The spreadsheet currently shows all the headings regardless of whether
there's a \status command because it's just a second pass from the
script. I have a list of improvements to make in the script including
having it emit only the chapter/section headings that have \status
commands associated with them.

The first pass of the script only emitted chapter/section headings
with their statuses, but it was confusing to read because if a section
has a \status and its chapter doesn't, then it would only print the
section heading and you wouldn't know what chapter it was under.  The
lengthier output you see here was a quick hack to get around this
problem.

To sum up:  (1) Use \status commands only for the chapter or section
if you've been assigned an entire chapter or section. Don't use
\status commands for subsections etc. (2) I plan to improve the script
so that the output is more concise but still readable.

> A second thing is, that if there is a tex command inside the caption,
> then the output in the list ends after the first closing brace »}«.

Good catch. I'll take a look at that. I probably need to adjust my
regex.  (Using regexes to parse LaTeX is a bit of a fool's errand, I'm
afraid, but we should be able to get it to work with our few use
cases.)

> Third, do you put the script also to the branch?

I haven't yet. I was going to wait until I finished fixing some more
bugs and tidying up the code.

—Kevin