Re: Merge with the Ubuntu Docs team?

My 2 cents as a French Translations Coordinator and a translator and
proofreader for the French version.

- I don't think the Ubuntu Manual should be disbanded. The Manual is
perceived as a valuable asset in the French Community (and most likely
elsewhere). We're the only ones able to be able to produce (that is write,
update, translate and proofread) a printed book in time for the Ubuntu
Party (at least until this cycle). That much that when we didn't deliver on
time, people were surprised, and a guy from the French community is somehow
trying to create his own version and get it out.
- I think before asking us to "pool resources" (which has been repeated too
many times in that IRC log, just like a magical word), they should question
the reason why they have a contributor problem. There's contributor churn
(either for personal or demotivation reasons), and also the ability to
onboard newcomers in an active way, which is very demanding.
- What ressources economies would actually be created ? What are the Ubuntu
Docs' assets ? In my sense, that looks like a resource- and brain- drain,
that could actually destroy value overall (e.g. destroying the manual,
without actually reviving the docs team in the long run)
- The wiki pages are obsolete, and not designed to be translated. Our
manual is designed to be up to date (or not published at all) and
translated.
- The Desktop Docs cannot "fail" as clearly as the Ubuntu Manual since UM
has a much tighter Q&A process (either 1 book proofread and published, or
0).
- Finally the team, and Hannie, Kevin, Patrick, Sylvie is doing tremendous
and hard work, and it is what motivates me to kick my ass to get a
translation out for each release, before the Ubuntu Party, and before all
other teams (Germany might win the world cup, but we still have an edge on
translations <3 )

sincerely,
Pierre