ubuntu-multiseat team mailing list archive

Re: review basic multiseat spec?

Em 24/08/2013 15:52, "Richard Hansen" <ubuntu-a7x@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

> On 2013-08-24 06:08, Laércio Benedito Sivali de Sousa wrote:
> > Hi guys!
> >
> > Just a comment about deriving or not the seat id from [Seat:Foo] header.
> > I still really appreciate if I can have an option for this. For example,
> > if I set "xdg-seat=auto" (no problem here since "auto" is not a valid
> > seat id anyway)
>
> AFAIK, there's nothing limiting the set of valid seat names, so 'auto'
> is a valid seat name.  It's a bad idea to use 'auto' as a seat name due
> to the potential for udev tag conflicts, though, so hijacking it to have
> a special meaning in lightdm.conf is probably OK.

According to logind documentation, a valid seat id must start with the
string "seat", so "auto" should not be a valid one, but e.g. "seatauto"
does.

> > or something similar, then derive seat id from section
> > header.
>
> Interesting idea, but I'm hesitant to implement it myself because I
> suspect automatic multiseat support will largely make this an unused
> feature.  When automatic multiseat support is implemented, rather than
this:

>     [SeatDefaults]
>     greeter-session=unity-greeter
>     xdg-seat=auto
>
>     [Seat:0]
>
>     [Seat:1]
>
> people will simply do something like this:
>
>     [SeatDefaults]
>     greeter-session=unity-greeter
>
>     [AutoSeats]
>
> and seat0 and seat1 will be used automatically as they are reported by
> logind.

I don't know if I understand what you mean, but even when automatic
multiseat support arrives in LightDM, some per seat settings will still be
useful, like customizing display server command line, setting autologin
user, etc. For example, I still want to set

[Seat:1]
autologin-user=alice

so that user alice is logged in when seat1 is detected by LightDM.

> [Seat:Foo] -> seatFoo (the former) is my preferred option.
>
> If Robert isn't opposed to this xdg-seat=auto idea, and you feel like
> coding it up, feel free to push it to the
> lp:~ubuntu-multiseat/lightdm/multiseat branch.

OK. I'll try it.