ubuntu-multiseat team mailing list archive

Re: Problems with uploading & building to Multiseat PPA

On 2013-10-21 12:18, Laércio de Sousa wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I'm trying to upload and build some xorg-server packages to my personal
> multiseat PPA, which I pretend to copy to ubuntu-multiseat main PPA when
> it's tested.

Feel free to upload directly to the ubuntu-multiseat PPA if you want.
It's OK if the package hasn't been fully tested before doing so -- I
think it's reasonable for users of the PPA to expect some problems on
occasion, and it'd be nice to get as wide of a testing audience as
possible.  It's good to push the burden of testing onto others so that
you have more time to develop.

> However, my builds fail at some point. Checking the buildlog, it seems
> the builder hangs in the following step:
>
> # Make sure Xvfb at least starts up
> PATH=debian/tmp/main/usr/bin/:/bin:/usr/bin \
>    debian/tmp/main/usr/bin/xvfb-run -s "-screen 0 1280x1024x24 -nolisten
> tcp -noreset" true
>
> Have you ever seen the same problem with your uploads?

This sounds vaguely familiar and I can't remember why.  A search for bug
reports only turned up the one you filed yesterday.

Are you only seeing this with uploads to a PPA?  I've had problems with
some of the builders.  You could try building it locally on your own
machine to see if you can reproduce the problem.  I use pdebuild with
the attached .pbuilderrc like so:

    dist=$(lsb_release -cs)

    # these steps only need to be done once
    sudo pbuilder --create
    cat <<EOF | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pbuilder.list
    deb file:/var/cache/pbuilder/result/${dist} ./
    EOF

    # if it has been a while since I last updated the base.tgz
    sudo pbuilder --update

    # get the package I want to modify and build
    dget -u 'url://to/package.dsc'
    cd package

    # make edits as desired

    # bump package version
    dch -i

    # build the package
    pdebuild

    # install the package
    cd /var/cache/pbuilder/result/"${dist}"
    dpkg-scanpackages . >Packages
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade

Hope this helps,
Richard
# -*- mode:sh -*-
# This file is read by pbuilder and pdebuild

## disable optimizations
#DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=${DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS}" noopt"
## don't strip debug symbols
#DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=${DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS}" nostrip"
export DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS

## for alternate satisfydepends command
#EXTRAPACKAGES=${EXTRAPACKAGES}" gdebi-core"

## use a faster dependency resolver, as suggested in
## https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PbuilderHowto
#PBUILDERSATISFYDEPENDSCMD=/usr/lib/pbuilder/pbuilder-satisfydepends-gdebi

CCACHEDIR=/var/cache/pbuilder/ccache

DEBBUILDOPTS='-sa -k5EA352B9 -i'\''(?:^|/)\.git(?:$|/.*$)'\'' -I.git'
DEBEMAIL="Richard Hansen <ubuntu-a7x@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>"
export CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=9
USE_PDEBUILD_INTERNAL=yes

DISTRIBUTION=$(lsb_release -cs)
BASETGZ=/var/cache/pbuilder/${DISTRIBUTION}.tgz
BUILDRESULT=/var/cache/pbuilder/result/${DISTRIBUTION}
sudo sh -c '
    mkdir -p "$1" &&
    chown root:sudo "$1" &&
    chmod g+rwx "$1" &&
    touch "$1"/Packages &&
    chown root:sudo "$1"/Packages &&
    chmod g+rw "$1"/Packages" &&
    true
' - "${BUILDRESULT}" || exit 1

APTKEYRINGS=/etc/apt/trusted.gpg

case $(uname -m) in
    ppc) MIRRORSITE="http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/";;;
    *) MIRRORSITE="http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/";;;
esac
COMPONENTS="main restricted universe multiverse"

# make sure pbuilder feeds itself
#OTHERMIRROR="deb file:${BUILDRESULT%/} ./${OTHERMIRROR:+|${OTHERMIRROR}}"

# extra ppas
case $(uname -m) in
    # the builders don't build ppc packages
    ppc) ;;
    *) OTHERMIRROR=${OTHERMIRROR}"\
|deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/git-core/ppa/ubuntu ${DISTRIBUTION} main\
";;
esac

for dist_extra in security updates proposed backports; do
    OTHERMIRROR=${OTHERMIRROR}"\
|deb ${MIRRORSITE} ${DISTRIBUTION}-${dist_extra} ${COMPONENTS}\
"
done
unset dist_extra
BINDMOUNTS="${BUILDRESULT%/}${BINDMOUNTS:+ ${BINDMOUNTS}}"