ubuntu-multiseat team mailing list archive

Ubuntu to switch from upstart to systemd

Good news for multiseat:  Ubuntu is switching from the upstart init
system to systemd!

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/1316

I had been wondering what Ubuntu would do ever since I heard that Debian
had voted to go with systemd over upstart:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-ctte/2014/02/msg00405.html

I'm not sure when the switch will happen, but according to Mark
Shuttleworth's blog post upstart will still be used for 14.04 (trusty).

Most (all?) of systemd's multiseat features are in systemd's logind
component.  Ubuntu has been using logind since 13.10 (and with some work
it was possible to use logind in 13.04), so this decision probably won't
affect Ubuntu multiseat too much.  It will, however, reduce the number
of integration bugs that arose from severing logind from the rest of
systemd, and it might make it easier to implement certain features.

-Richard