ubuntu-ngo team mailing list archive

some more ideas for civicrm

Hi everyone,

Following up on yesterday's meeting, I've been thinking a bit more about
useful software to be included as part of Ubuntu-NGO.
Basically it depends a lot on the type of work that a NGO does. For
instance, the NGO I work with, besides doing fundraising campaigns and
organizing events, also does lots of work in disaster relief. For this,
apps like CiviCRM and Sahana are a must. But other NGOs will not have
the same needs.
Maybe in the future we can have meta-packages, like
ubuntu-ngo-disasterrelief which depends on civicrm and sahana ^_^

The needs will also change depending on which computer it will be
installed. An office computer will have certain needs, while a laptop of
a person which is on the field working will probably have others.
Imagine a team going to a disaster site to do relief, setting up a quick
system to work with contacts, plans, file sharing, maps, etc. How to
make collaboration working easily? Something like Opera Unite has been
on my mind for some time.

One other thing I imagined, was to have events, tasks and contacts
centralized. If we assume that civicrm will be a basic need of an NGO,
then it would be nice to integrate the CiviCRM events/activities with
the evolution calendar. And even nicer would be to have a link between
evolution address book and the civicrm contacts :) but maybe that's
dreaming too high

ok, just wanted to share these thoughts with you.

i'm still finding out how can I be of most assistance to the ubuntu-ngo
team :)
its great to be doing this!
cheers

--