ubuntu-ngo team mailing list archive

Re: Areas with no or bad internet: apt-zeroconf

2009/6/29 Bjoern Hassler <bjoern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Here's a scenario: Could you somehow write the state of a particular Ubuntu
> installation to a 'config' file, where this file would contain the versions
> of all your packages? Then, you take this file with you, to a place with
> good bandwidth, and download all the updates you need?

You can already partly do this with the applications currently
installed in Ubuntu, however it's not supremely friendly.

Synaptic has a "generate download script" option which spits out a
script full of wgets that you could take to another net-connected
machine to get the actual packages. I don't think it copes well if you
want to update package lists or add further repositories sadly, but
it's a start.

Cheers,
Al.